- Global Code of Ethics for Tourism
- Areas of work
Protect Children Campaign
As tourism across the globe reaches unprecedented levels, so does the need to eradicate child labour and sexual exploitation in the global travel industry – that is why the United Nations body for tourism is taking action now. A total of 218 million children are estimated to be engaged in labour worldwide, while millions are especially vulnerable to exploitation and abuse, according to the International Labour Organization (ILO).
This awareness campaign, coordinated by UNWTO and the Task Force to Protect Children in Tourism, will raise the profile of children who are exploited. UNWTO strongly believes that the tourism industry has a moral obligation and a special responsibility to combat child labour, sexual exploitation and trafficking of children. The Organization is encouraging the industry to enforce its Global Code of Ethics for Tourism, and protect children against harm.
The campaign stresses that it is unacceptable for the industry and the travelling public to tolerate exploitation of children in all its forms. It was formally launched at the World Travel Market (WTM) at the 23rd meeting of the International Task Force – London, 10 November 2008, and globally on the Universal Children’s Day – 20 November through joint and coordinated efforts by all partners, participants, supporters.
The campaign already enjoys broad support on the part of national governments, tourism boards, other UN agencies as well as partners from the public and private sectors.
UNWTO hopes you will join the campaign by:
- Using the campaign’s logo wherever possible
- Distributing the logo, sticker and other print materials
- Linking your website to ethics.unwto.org
- Organizing your campaign in your community using the tools
- Planning an event for 20 November - Universal Children’s Day
- Distributing the campaign video and other footage
- Informing your media contacts about the campaign
- Sending us information on your activities for our campaign
Join UNWTO and add your voice to a new global movement to protect children in travel and tourism – they are our future.
- WHAT YOU CAN DO against the exploitation of children in tourism
- CAMPAIGN LOGO and MULTIMEDIA
- SPONSORS and PARTNER ORGANIZATIONS of the Protect Children Campaign
- RESEARCH TOOLS and LINKS
- PAST CAMPAIGN to protect children in tourism
- EU-FUNDED PROJECT for the protection of children in tourism
For more information, please contact email@example.com